A Birthday & Anniversary

I love September!

Why? Because it is the month of my birthday, Sophia’s birthday and our wedding anniversary. Truth be told, I’m terrible with dates, especially birthdays and particularly mine. If it wasn’t for Sophia, my sisters and some of my close friends, I would never remember my birthday and I would never take holidays. In fact, to assist me in remembering my wedding day and partially out of humour, Sophia and I were married the day after my birthday; surprisingly no one objected, maybe no one noticed?

The interesting thing about living in the arctic and celebrating occasions is the shortage of essentials (i.e. birthday cards, gifts). Some people will buy gifts & cards a year ahead for upcoming birthdays, anniversaries, thank you’s, etc. Last year, I had to buy Sophia a birthday card meant for ‘little brother’ because that’s all the store had.

So  we spent our weekend celebrating my birthday and our wedding anniversary. Sophia started it off by baking a chocolate cake on Friday and serving me cake in bed on Saturday morning; not a traditional breakfast, probably not the healthiest, but awesome none the less. I probably offered to much detail on this subject.

Rob and his birthday cake

Rob and his birthday cake

Birthday card and gift certificates

Birthday card and gift certificates

By mid afternoon on Saturday, Sophia and I headed off with the dogs to Prince River by ATV to go camping, fishing and do some geese hunting. I was reluctant at first because the weather called for 30% chance of rain, but Sophia being the optimist believed that meant there was a 70% chance of sunshine and good weather. It rained on Saturday night, Sunday morning, and then snowed a bit in the late morning; and it was cold (+2C). Geese hunting was a bust, lots of geese (especially Snow Geese), but way out of range; so we walked and explored some of the Inuit archaeological sites in the area. By lunch time, we packed up and headed home, anticipating more rain and the dogs being tired (actually wiped out).  Sophia had an anniversary gift waiting at home. I love her simplicity in gift giving.  It was a traditional gift for our 6 year anniversary – candy!!

Large flock of snow geese

Large flock of snow geese

Rob's anniversary gift - the traditional gift for the 6th year anniversary is candy!

Rob’s anniversary gift – the traditional gift for the 6th year anniversary is candy!

Advertisements